Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Holy Children of God


Holy Children of God


I Peter 1:13-16  “Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.”

As children of God, we are called to strive for holiness (I Peter 1:15). We are to “hate what is evil” and “cling to what is good” (Romans 12:9). We should never imply an acceptance of sin, especially in our own lives. All we do should be consistent with what we believe and who we are in Christ.

Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy (1 Peter 1:16).
Holy means “sacred, pure, morally blameless”.

Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the Lord your God. And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the Lord which sanctify you (Leviticus 20:7-8).
Holy means “sanctified, separated, set apart for use in God’s service”.

As children of God what about us should be holy?

Our bodies should be holy
(Romans 12:1) I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Our eyes should be holy
(Matthew 6:22 NKJV) The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light.
(Psalms 101:3 NKJV) I will set nothing wicked before my eyes;
(Job 31:1) I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman.

Our mouth should be holy
(Matthew 12:37) For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.
(Ephesians 4:29 KJV) Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth…

Our lips should be holy
(Hosea 14:2) Take words with you and return to the Lord. Say to him: “Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips.”

Our tongues should be holy
(Psalms 39:1 KJV) I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle…
(Proverbs 15:4) A wholesome tongue is a tree of life…

Our conversation should be holy
(1 Peter 1:15 KJV) But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
(Colossians 4:6) Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.

Our kiss should be holy
(1 Thessalonians 5:26 KJV) Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.

Our hands should be holy
(1 Timothy 2:28) I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Our feet should be holy
(Hebrews 12:13) And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
(Psalms 119:59 NKJV) I thought about my ways, and turned my feet to Your testimonies.
(Psalms 119:105 NKJV) Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Our hearts should be holy
(Deuteronomy 11:18 KJV) Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul…
(Romans 5:5) …the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
(1 John 3:19 KJV) And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
(Psalms 57:7 KJV) My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise.

Our minds should be holy
(Colossians 3:2 NKJV) Set your mind on things above, not on thing on the earth.
(Isaiah 25:3) You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
(Hebrews 10:16) This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
  
Our thoughts should be holy
(Psalms 139:23-24) Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
(Proverbs 12:5 NKJV) The thoughts of the righteous are right…

Our house should be holy
(Psalms 101:2-3 NKJV) I will behave wisely in a perfect way. I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. I will set nothing wicked before my eyes;
(Deuteronomy 11:18-20 NKJV) Therefore you shall lay up these words in your heart and in your soul… And you shall write them upon the door posts of your house…

Our dress should be holy
(1 Timothy 2:9) In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety;… which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.
(Deuteronomy 22:5 KJV) The woman shall not wear that which pertains to a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment;

Our spirit should be holy
(1 Corinthians 6:20) For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.

Our time should be holy
(Ephesians 5:16) Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Our worship should be holy
(1 Chronicles 16:29) Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

Our day of rest should be holy
(Exodus 20:8 KJV) Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Our faith should be most holy
(Jude 20) But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Don’t you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost, who lives in you and who was given to you by God? You do not belong to
yourselves but to God; he bought you for a price. So use your bodies for God’s glory (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

We are holy if we are set apart for His purpose. In Romans 12:1, Paul urges us that, in view of God’s mercy, to offer ourselves as living sacrifices “holy” and pleasing to God, as our spiritual act of worship.

How do we do this? We must stop conforming to the pattern of this world (trying to fit in) but be transformed by the renewing of our mind and allow God’s Spirit to change the way we think.

In view of God’s mercy, we as children of God, need to remember that we are set apart for His service. Being set apart for His service does not mean that we must become a missionary, a preacher, or that we must work in a church building. Holiness is to be expressed in every aspect of our life. All of our life is to be dedicated to God as our spiritual act of worship.

Being a Christian is more than being known for attending church. It is being holy. It is letting our Christian values penetrate our life, every part of it, in every thing we do, every minute of the day.

2 Corinthians 7:1, Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.



For information about home Bible studies please email or write anytime.



Kim Howard
kimlovesjesus@icloud.com
www.womanofgodinlouisiana.blogspot.com

No comments: